Friday, January 16, 2009

Art as a Part of Life
















Art is definitely a part of my life - and a big one at that. Ever since I was young, I can remember my mom and her (our) friend Ivol, "breaking me out" of school to go for a day at the art museum. I used to love these days because not only was it a chance to get to spend a day away from school, it was also time that I got to see my mom and Ivol and laugh until my cheeks literally ached. We would usually take off a little before lunch time, go for lunch and then spend the rest of the afternoon bumming around the art museum. Mom thought these were just as good as school because after all, I was learning my art history! 

Today, my husband and I collect art in many different places. We have art from his mom, from the two of us, from local artists, from international artists, from little artists and big artists and every piece means something or tells a story to us. It may not be the same story that the artist meant to tell, but for whatever reason, it speaks to us and it warms our house. Now, when I look at a room in our house and think, "it just needs something." Instead of re-painting or moving furniture, I often add some art - it changes everything. 

Tonight, in the building where I have my office, there are three gallery openings. One, a private collection from someone's home, one a collection of Disney memorabilia and another done by artists that used art as a healing process. I think it is going to be very moving and inspirational to see how they used art, not just as a part of life, but as a way to get them through life. 

Above Painting currently on display in my kitchen. 
Artist: Cynthia Hagedorn
Title: The Big Spill with Kali

1 comment:

rak said...

When I'm at your house, I am ALWAYS secretly admiring your different pieces of art :) Ben and I are slowly joining that bandwagon of collecting...thanks for the inspiration :)